- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine , softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups Buttercream icing
- Lemon Yellow Icing Color
- Creamy Peach Icing Color
- Pink Icing Color
- Kelly Green Icing Color or other icing color
- Sugar Pearls Sprinkles
- 6 cups (about 1 1/2 lbs.) Powdered sugar , sifted
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon No Color Almond Extract
instructionsPreheat oven to 325°F. Spray 9 x 13 x 2 in. pan with vegetable oil pan spray; set aside.
In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add zest and extract. Add flour mixture alternately with sour cream; mix well. Spoon into prepared pan.
Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling rack; cool completely.
Cut cooled cake into 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 in. pieces. Lightly ice with buttercream.
In saucepan, combine confectioners’ sugar, water and corn syrup; stir until well mixed. Heat over low heat to just under 100°F. Remove from heat; stir in almond extract and icing color. Place cakes on cooling grid set over a drip pan. Pour sugar mixture into center and work towards edges. Touch up bare spots with spatula. (If icing becomes too thick, reheat.) Add Sugar Pearl Sprinkles; let set