2 cups brown sugar, packed
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
4 ounces butter, cold, cut in pieces
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. Combine flour, brown sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl; cut in butter until the mixture coarse crumbs form. Take out 1 cup of crumbs and put aside.
3. Combine egg, buttermilk, baking powder, baking soda and vanilla, whisk until smooth; stir into the remaining crumbs in bowl. Spread in the prepared baking pan.
4. Sprinkle reserved crumbs evenly over the batter. Bake for 30 minutes.
Streusel Coffee Cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg - beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 c upchopped nuts
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Streusel Coffee Cake Directions:
1. Stir together the 1 1/2 cups flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt.
2. Combine egg, milk and oil. Add to flour mixture; mix well. Stir in raisins.
3. Turn into a greased 9x9x2-inch baking pan.
4. Combine nuts, brown sugar, 1 Tbsp flour, butter or margarine and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter.
5. Bake in a preheated 375 deg oven about 25 minutes. Makes 1 coffee cake.
Blueberry Coffee cake
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups blueberries mixed with 1/2 cup flour
Blueberry Coffee Cake Directions:
1. Cream shortening, sugar and eggs. Beat until light.
2. Add flour, baking powder and milk alternately. Mix well.
3. Add floured blueberries. Pour into a 9"x13" pan.
4. Bake at 350° until done (fork comes out clean) - about 35 minutes.